Tips for women – how to dress for a photoshoot. 30.05.2017
author: Judyta Wajszczak – designer, journalist,
working with Polly since 2013: http://polly.com.pl/
For a business session, just like for a day at the office, one should dress appropriately. For many years we’ve had standards: classic look toned down colors, and elegant accessories. A shirt and jacket will always work well in any business situation.
When we trace back the latest trends, we can find a lot of ideas suiting our needs to dress up in the corporate fashion world.
- we wear them with elegant cigarette pants.
- the shirt should not be too tight, but it might carry more varied forms like frill or flounce.
- we look for materials presenting high quality: cotton enriched with noble fabrics like silk, and viscose, but without an excessive amount of spandex.
- this year it’s black & white coming back again, perfectly suitable to adapt this combo to business fashion.
- best look is made with the white torso and black bottom half. It can be both a white shirt and a high-quality blouse with short (but not too short) sleeves. Made of silk, thin wool or modal, together with black trousers.
- you can stick to the rule of opposites: if the blouse is of slim fit, then bet on wider trousers, adding expressive character to the figure.
Jacket of men’s fashion
- this season the designers bet on the ’90 fashion comeback. The catwalks of Michael Kors, Bottega Veneta, and Jil Sander show loose jackets of men’s fashion.
- we will adapt this trend in business styling with ease, combining men’s fashion jackets with elegant trousers, specifically skinny pants or cigarette trousers, but also with a toned dress or skirt.
- prints seem too risky for business attire, but the market is so full of types that we might find there something suitable, which can be worn safely to work and business sessions alike.
- floral, tropical motifs, which are hot at this year’s proposals from designers and chain retailers might be tamed, if combined with other elements, which would add harmony and calmness to the overall effect.
- a blouse or shirt with a flower or fern pattern (preferably a maximum of 2 colors) can be mixed with a dark suit.
- if we decide to go for a bold top, give up jewelry that sticks out too much and go easy with nails of strong color.
- as always, a rule of choosing the high-quality fabric will do best – even if we choose cotton, go for the one with noble fabrics added.
- the upper part of attire can be a little bolder and underline the character of the person, who’s sporting it.
- the spots motif can be used in a form of a shirt or a very modest dress of classic fashion.
- our style would still be formal and elegant if we choose not to wear jewelry, and we top our look with good quality shoes with medium heels.
- with a dress, a perfect combo would be with a short, fitted jacked in toned-down color.
Besides this year’s trends, traditional business styles can always be enhanced by bolder elements. For a business photo session, it’d always be fashionable to sport a shirt with a black skirt combined with a jacket.
- we don’t always have to rely on a classical pencil skirt
- in this year’s collection by Polish designer Natalia Siebuła we will find i.e. skirts made of
w tegorocznej kolekcji polskiej projektantki Natalii Siebuły znajdziemy np. spódnice sewed from a combination of viscose and a suede spots fabric. If we add black high heels, a formal shirt, and a jacket, we will produce an elegant, yet avantgarde look.
- dress in business styling should be comfortable, not limiting our moves, but it better not resemble a shapeless bag
- look for dresses suitable for our figure. A good example of a dress style for an office is a black, viscose dress with a rubber strapped waistband, a V type decolletage, from the Polish brand Polly.
- if the whole of our look is modest and calm, consisting of basic colors – black, white, grey – then we can go balder on the accessories
- earrings of unlimited shapes or a discrete bracelet will point up our look and give the whole a final touch
- let’s not forget about good quality bags and shoes (i.e. bags and medium heeled shoes from Polish-Israeli brand Balagan)
The article used source materials from COS, POLLY, BALAGAN